San Martín de Tours Church in Salamanca was visited by approximately 20,000 people between March 21st and 28th. 1,300 of them took part in the guided visits organised within the Atlantic Romanesque Plan.
20,000 people visited San Martín de Tours Church in Salamanca between March 21st and 28th . This church, along with the Old Cathedral, is one of the city’s most representative buildings.
Of the total of visitors during Holy Week, more than 1,300 took part in the guided visits organised within the Atlantic Romanesque Plan, promoted by Castilla y León Regional Government, Iberdrola Spain Foundation and the Portuguese Secretariat of State for Culture.
One of the project’s main goals is contributing to the sustainable development of the regions where actions were taken, by means of boosting tourism in the buildings and their surroundings. A challenge supported by each region’s dioceses, as well as by Santa Maria la Real Foundation for the Historical Heritage, responsible for carrying out the Plan.
In order to accomplish this goal, an Information Point was opened at San Martín de Tours Church at the beginning of the year. It was created with the aim of introducing the history of the church, located at the hearth of Salamanca, as well as the actions carried out within the Atlantic Romanesque Plan.
The display area, combining the audiovisuals strength and the lighting, highlights the most emblematic architectural and sculptural elements of areas like the Carmen Chapel. The new lighting enhances the importance of a Romanesque portal found in 1958.
Along with the creation of an Information Point, the actions carried out in the church some months ago allowed the recovering of the access through the North Door after restoring the interior vault. What is more, the building has been monitored in order to control its conservation conditions.