Románico Atlántico
Home / The project / Salamanca
 

Iglesia de San Martín

Salamanca - Salamanca

San Martín de Tours Church, also called “the Market’s San Martín” or “the Square’s” was built in the 13th century, on top of a previous construction at the Toresanos Neighborhood during the city’s resettlement, on the initiative of the Count Martin Fernández.

This church has undergone many renovations and can hardly be seen among the modern buildings. It is, nevertheless, and after the Old Cathedral, the most important Romanesque building in the city. It was declared National Historic-Artistic Site in 1931.

It has a basilical floor plan with three naves crowned by semicircular apses, invisible from the outside because of the nearby buildings, and there is neither transept nor dome. The Baroque works hid two of the three Romanesque portals. Only the northern portal has been preserved until the present and it is opened to the Plaza del Corrillo Square, called the Obispo Door.  It presents excellent vegetal and figurative decoration. Its access is made through a staircase bridging the unevenness with the street. A polychrome sculpture crowns the set. It is the patron saint of the church, Saint Martin, on a horse tearing his cloak to share it with a beggar.

The Puerta del Mediodía Door, at the southern side, is a Renaissance-style door built in the year of 1586 on the top of another primitive Romanesque portal.

Originally there was one more door, the Puerta del Poniente Door, that was walled and reconverted into the Carmen’s Chapel and was rediscovered in 1958. Its original polychromy is conserved, being one of the most outstanding elements in the church.

The church has suffered from structural problems from the beginning. In the 13th century several improvements and reinforcements were necessary because the vaults were pressuring and threatening the stability of the pillars, walls and roofs thus causing deformations.

Moreover, some more incidents must be pointed out in the history of the building. Some of the vaults of the central nave collapsed in the 18th century and there was a fire in 1854 that forced the rebuilding of the eastern sections and of the main altarpiece, attributed to the school of Gregorio Fernández, destroyed and substituted by another one by José Joaquín de Churriguera. A 16th century Elizabethan choir must be highlighted as one of its most outstanding elements.

 Visiting hours:

- General Schedule all year round: 

         From Monday to Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m and 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.

   - Easter, July and August: Every day, morning and afternoon.

Foto: Alberto Sánchez García

Salamanca
Salamanca

Location

Monitoring

The first step of the Atlantic Romanesque works at the church of San Martín de Tours was to monitor the building by means of installing several types of wireless sensors which will remotely inform about the environmental and structural parameters of the church and therefore enable the observation of its preservation condition.

The church’s structural problems have been a constant since its construction. These pathologies have mainly affected the vaults of the church central nave, originating the deformations which can be observed at the present time. A monitoring plan has been developed in order to know the real causes of the visible deterioration.

Several temperature and humidity sensors have been distributed across the critical points of the structure to check the church condition. They will send data to a central server, enabling the detection of major changes or alterations. Simultaneously, static and dynamic structural movements of the building have been monitored by means of installing an accelerometer that detects possible external agents which provoke vibrations that present risks for the structure, and clinometers in the northern and southern walls registering inclination movements.

The analyses joining all these variables, after a time of monitoring, will determine if the deterioration process is still active, as well as design the possible causes and solutions for the pathologies that have arisen since its origin or check if this damage is caused by previous correction actions, thus helping the development of future works or action projects.

Monitoring

San Martín de Tours Restoration

Several recent actions taken on the monument enabled the partial consolidation of its structure and external figurative elements, nevertheless on its inside no restoration actions had been carried out.

The main target of the current action was to correct the problems of detachments and structural failures, particularly at the vaults, where defects in stone material in the first section of the Evangello’s Nave (above the so called Obispo Door) were produced, due to defective construction and the action of humidity. Efforts were concentrated on restoring this area as most of pathologies were found here.

The works enabled regaining the access through the church’s northern door leading to the Plaza del Corrillo Square, next to the Plaza Mayor. This door was closed because of the bad condition of its vault, but now it can be the access to the Information Point for the Atlantic Romanesque Plan and the visitors’ reception area. It was also possible to improve the access to the Carmen Chapel, where the old Romanesque portal conserving rich polychromy can be found.

The actions were completed by illuminating the area in order to highlight the main ornamental and sculptural elements and monitoring the church as to track its preservation conditions.

San Martín de Tours Restoration

Romanesque Information Point

The location of the building, next to the Plaza Mayor, makes it the ideal place to set an information point about the Romanesque. It becomes an open window to the Atlantic Romanesque Plan, a space to receive visitors placed behind the Obispo

While the church’s restoration works were being undertaken, an exhibition area was refurbished in order to promote the aims of the Plan and to boost the interventions carried out both at San Martín’s and at the other churches included in this project. The area also includes information about the history of the church and its development, as well as information about the chapels contiguous to the northern access path.

With the use of new technologies, through audiovisual resources and a lighting carefully focusing the main construction elements of the chamber and the old Romanesque portal, the visitor is led throughout an information itinerary which intends to transmit both the emotion and the spiritual value of the area where the visitor finds himself.

Romanesque Information Point

Historia San Martín de Tours

SAN MARTÍN DEL MERCADO. ORIGEN DE LA ACTUAL PLAZA MAYOR DE SALAMANCA

La parroquia fundada hacia el año 1103 por el conde Martín Fernández, caudillo de los repobladores de Toro, está dedicada a San Martín de Tours, uno de los santos más populares de la época.

Se ha dicho del templo que es una reproducción en menor escala de la Catedral Vieja. Es desde luego, después de ella, el templo románico más importante de la ciudad a pesar de la alteración de su fisonomía original y de encontrarse actualmente encajonado entre modernas construcciones.

Con la ampliación de las murallas y el desplazamiento de la población hacia el norte, la parroquia de San Martín se convirtió en el centro neurálgico de la ciudad, dándose a conocer desde finales del siglo XII con el nombre de San Martín del Mercado.

En los siglos XII y XIII la población de Salamanca creció considerablemente y la falta de espacio en los dos centros económicos más antiguos (el Azogue Viejo y la Puerta del Sol) desplazó hacia esta plaza la actividad comercial. Se trasladó a ella la Casa Consistorial y se consolidó como espacio de celebración de los acontecimientos sociales de más relevancia de la urbe.

El reloj de la iglesia regulaba la actividad de la plaza. En ella se vendían hortalizas, grano, vino, pescado, carnes, carbón, platería… y toda clase de productos necesarios para el sostenimiento de la sociedad salmantina.

Las variadas funciones de la parroquia provocaron su transformación, convirtiéndose a partir del siglo XV en centro de la primigenia Plaza Mayor de Salamanca.

En 1497 el príncipe Don Juan, hijo de los Reyes Católicos y señor de la ciudad de Salamanca, manda empedrar la Plaza de San Martín cuya superficie sabemos que alcanzaba los 26.000 metros cuadrados. Cuatro veces más que el actual recinto de la Plaza Mayor.

Era considerada por numerosos viajeros, como la plaza más grande que existía en España y una de las más grandes de Europa.

IGLESIA DE SAN MARTÍN DE TOURS

Se ha dicho del templo que es una reproducción en menor escala de la Catedral Vieja. Debió comenzarse hacia 1160 por los ábsides, pensándose su estructura inicial para bóvedas de cañón apuntado en la nave mayor y de arista en las laterales. Presenta una planta rectangular carente de crucero, con tres naves de cuatro tramos que rematan en tres ábsides semicirculares invisibles al exterior por las edificaciones adosadas.

A mediados del siglo XIII comienza a sufrir desplomes, por lo que se tuvieron que reforzar las bóvedas y muros de los pies que se encuentran notablemente inclinadas. En el siglo XVIII el gran peso de las bóvedas, hace que se hunda la mayor parte de la nave central. Jerónimo García de Quiñones se encarga de sustituirlas por otras de ladrillo enyesado para aligerar el peso, lo que permitió que se pudieran abrir las ventanas que iluminan la nave.

En la actualidad los testimonios medievales de San Martín quedan completamente enmascarados por posteriores reformas y las modernas construcciones del entorno.

Las obras barrocas ocultaron dos de las tres portadas románicas. Hoy sólo permanece abierta al casco urbano (a la Plaza del Corrillo) la puerta norte. Los curiosos lobulados de la arquivolta son una clara influencia de la Puerta del Obispo de la catedral de Zamora. Encima hay un relieve de San Martín a caballo repartiendo su capa con el pobre de Amiens.

La portada occidental, situada a los pies de la nave mayor, quedó oculta desde finales del siglo XVII por la construcción de la capilla del Carmen.

La portada sur que se abre hacia la calle de la Rúa, se tapó con un atrio de estilo renacentista.

A los pies de la iglesia se encuentran el coro alto y la escalera de acceso, que fueron obras del arquitecto Juan de Álava en 1516.

Dentro del templo es interesante la serie de sepulcros que se conservan, fechables entre mediados del siglo XV y comienzos del XVI.

En 1854 un incendio destruyó el magnífico retablo mayor que había sido diseñado por Juan Gómez de Mora en 1621. Para sustituirlo se trajo el del desaparecido monasterio de San Pedro de la Paz de 1735.

CAPILLA DE LA VIRGEN DEL CARMEN. ANTES LLAMADA VIRGEN DE LAS ANGUSTIAS

Esta dependencia fue financiada por el mercader de paños, Juan Muñoz del Castillo y por su mujer, María Cruz Guerra.

Fueron mayordomos de la iglesia, llevando a cabo en 1686 la fundación de la Música de San Martín, lo que permitió al templo contar con músicos propios.

La obra fue llevada a cabo por José Benito de Churriguera entre 1695 y 1698, proyectándola de acuerdo a un plan central, próximo al de la cruz griega.

La capilla se cierra con una cúpula sobre pechinas y linterna, y en los brazos transversales con bóvedas de cañón con lunetos, que permiten abrir dos pequeñas ventanas y presentar los retratos de los promotores. La cúpula se decora con símbolos de la Pasión, acordes con la primitiva advocación de la capilla. Nuestra Señora de las Angustias, cuya imagen, hoy perdida, presidiría el retablo principal de la estancia. Detrás de éste se dispuso una pequeña estancia, a modo de camarín, en la que se abrió una ventana con funciones de transparente para iluminar la imagen. Actualmente preside la estancia una escultura de la Virgen del Carmen.

Los altares laterales acogen las imágenes de Santa Lucía (muro norte) flanqueada por imágenes de San Francisco y San Antonio y Santa Ana (muro sur) con pintura sobre ella de San Joaquín y relieves en los laterales de los Santos Juanes (Bautista y Evangelista).

Los fundadores expresaron en 1699 su intención de fundar en ella, la festividad de las Cuarenta Horas en los tres días de carnestolendas, con misa cantada, sermón por la tarde y la asistencia de la música de la iglesia.

Desde el interior de esta capilla se puede contemplar la arquivolta de la primitiva puerta románica que quedó oculta tras la construcción del espacio barroco y conserva la mayor parte de su policromía.

Está compuesta por seis arquivoltas de medio punto, ricamente adornadas con flores, arquitos de herradura, motivos vegetales y representaciones de los meses del año.

CAPILLA DEL CONDE GRAJAL

La Capilla del Conde Grajal, fechada en 1413 acoge los restos de .D. Juan de Villafuertes  quien tenía su casa- torre, en la antigua plaza de S.Martin, hoy Plaza Mayor,  rehecha en 1784 por su descendiente Manuel Pérez Osorio, el  Retablo está consagrado a los mártires africanos, supuestamente nacidos en Salamanca Arcadio, Provo, Pascario, Eutiquio y el niño Paulino. En 1765 se aprueba el culto a dichos mártires, siendo Obispo D. Gabriel de Esparza. El escultor de los mártires pudo ser Pedro López Reinaldos, cuñado del  ensamblador del retablo.

[X]
Historia San Martín de Tours
Románico Atlántico
Junta de Castilla y LeónFundación Iberdrola EspañaGoverno de PortugalFundación Santa María la Real del patrimonio históricoDiócesis de SalamancaDiócesis de ZamoraDiócesis  de AstorgaDiócesis de Ciudad Rodrigo