Located between two mountain ranges, this municipality is made up of several villages. This region possesses the largest collection of archeological remains in Portugal.
A significant number of forts from the Iron Age have been found in the vicinity (Castro do Poio, Castro de Lesenho and Alto do Castro). The Romans also left several signs of their existence in this region in some archeological sites and as in the case of Boticas, many villages were granted status from this time. In spite of its age, the first written reference of Covas do Barroso is found in the 12th century, more specifically in the Inquirições Gerais of Alfonso III.
The church of Santa Maria, whose construction dates back to the 13th century, has been entirely remodeled. In the interior there are mural paintings from the 18th century and a sepulcher of Don Alfonso Anes Barroso (1459) with a Gothic image of Saint Mary etched in stone. The monumental cross and the church located in the village were declared Sites of Public Interest.
The richness of the heritage in the area is also evident in other architectonic elements like the church of Nuestra Señora de la Salud (Capela de Nossa Senhora da Saúde) from the year 1692 and the Church of San José-Romaínho from the 17th Century.
Also of historic importance are the sanctuaries, the collection of religious sculptures, fountains, mills for making oil, the community oven, and the traditional houses made of granite.