The village of El Campillo belongs to the municipality of San Pedro de la Nave-Almendra which is located in the region known as Tierra del Pan in the province of Zamora.
Although we are unsure of its historical origins, it is necessary to mention that one of the most important and best conserved Visigoth churches is located in this municipality. The building was moved to its current location in El Campillo due to the construction of the Ricobayo reservoir in the Esla River. The church was probably built between the 12th and 13th centuries and was declared a National Monument in 1912. The first documents state that the church was under the advocation of San Pedro and San Pablo and the denomination of La Nave wasn’t documented until 1601.
Tourists shouldn’t miss visiting the provincial capital, Zamora, which is located a short distance from El Campillo. Here, there is a large concentration of Romanesque buildings.