Salamanca, capital of the province with the same name, is located in the southwest of Castile and Leon on the banks of the Tormes River. It is an area with extensive plains and the dehesa that forms the Campo Charro.
The city was declared in 1988 a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This city houses valuable cultural and artistic heritage like the prestigious University, the two cathedrals, numerous churches and convents and the well-known Plaza Mayor.
The origins of Salamanca go back to the Iron Age. Evidence of this comes from the discovery of a fort in the historical urban center and also the well-known ancient granite sculpture that guards the entrance to the bridge which formed part o f the Silver Route.
After the end of the Roman Empire, came the Visigoths whose remains are only conserved in part of the wall. At the end of the 11th century, the province experienced repopulation and started to build the Romanesque cathedral. Then in the 13th century, Alfonso IX of Leon gave his consent for the city to expand its limits and increase its population. In 1218, the “General Studies” program was founded which served as the seed for the future university. The Golden Age of the city lasted up until the 17th century. During this time, some of the most important Baroque buildings were built such as the Plaza Mayor and the monumental Clerecia.
During the Civil War, it was the headquarters of the Francoist troops rising up against the Republic. With the arrival of the Democratic Regime, the University took up its role again and transformed the city into a national and international reference for tourism and culture becoming the European Capital of Culture in 2002.